Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Photoflash Capacitors

Chip,

Thank you for finding and posting that! It is still 100% relevant today after 22 years. And BTW - when they pop it's a darn good "ear-ringing" bang!!

I still use photoflashes (older stuff that goes through my torture test) but not in high ripple applications. Gary Muffley is spot on - they don't belong in those applications. As Gary said - use them AFTER the first cap which gets most of the beating from ripple.

I have a full case of "strobe" caps which are designed to be used in continuous pulsing duty as part of the circuit that powers falshing strobe lights. These are 2500uf at 360 volts, CDE model 7P caps. I have some plans for them - but the testing MUST come first and the caps MUST pass with flying colors.

Finally, just an update on my 22 year old post... the caps in my "McShane" amp are Marcon photoflashes and have been in service for 25 years. ZERO failures! But they are going to be retired soon as the amp gets a mid-life makeover - even though they stil make GREAT sound in the amp.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Photoflash Capacitors - Jim McShane 11:03:11 04/24/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.