Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Russian paper in oil capacitors

KBG-MN are actually big capacitors in rectangular metal cases. What you are talking about is likely axial KBG-M1 or KBG-M2. M1 was superceded by M2 in early 1970s. All M1 and M2 capacitors were made by the OZR factory. I don't know what was the difference between M1 and M2, but it would be interesting to compare them sound wise.

KBG-M2 was discontinued in late 70s (I haven't seen any with dates later than 1979), and replaced with K40. K40-P look much like KBG-M2 - they have one lead connected to the body, and were made by the same factory (OZR). K40-Y have both leads insulated, and they were made by the different factory.

In basic construction they are all the same: aluminum foil electrodes with oil-impregnated paper dielectric. However, technological details such as sources of paper and oil at different factories could have been different.

You might have discovered that there is something special about OZR capacitors...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.