Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Cit II Doubler Filter

I've snipped from Jim's site the minimum level of Cit. 2 PSU overhaul he offers. Jim offers stuff beyond this.

For the Citation II Power Supply

1. (2) 820 uf 250 volt 105 degree Celsius very low ESR clamp mount caps that increase the capacitance from
100 uf total in the doubler to 410 uf. (2) clamps are included.

2. (4) General Instruments fast/soft recovery diodes that replace the existing top hat diodes. They fit nicely in the
fuse holder right where the old top hats are now. The GI diodes are very good, and quite reasonably priced too.
If you increase the capacitance, you really need to replace those diodes. And the DO-41 packaging is ideal for replacement.

3. (1) JJ 100/100 dual section 500 volt clamp mount cap, and...

3a. (1) Nichicon 220 uf/500 volt clamp mount cap. The Nichicon replaces the 40 uf 525 volt original twistlock,
and the JJ replaces the dual 50/50 V1/V4 decoupling cap. (2) clamps are included.

Note: This amp responds very well to improved decoupling of the input 12BY7A tubes!

4. (1) .01uf high voltage film cap to replace the existing ceramic unit.

5. (1) Gen'l Instruments fast/soft recovery diode to replace the bias selenium rectifier

6. (1 ea.) 220uf and 100 uf radial electrolytics, a new 1.8K ohm resistor, and a terminal strip for the bias circuitry.
Two new 4.7K ohm resistors to increase the range of bias adjustment.

7. A copy of the schematic, and kit installation notes and diagrams.

You end up with 630 uf (vs. 140 uf stock) of high quality capacitance for the B+, and twice the decoupling
capacitance.

Eli D.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.