Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Schottky

Would that filter be part of Jim's "Level II Plus" upgrade? I'd be interested to see the component values, but maybe Jim considers this proprietary info. In any event, I've been thinking along the same lines for my own HK doubler rebuilds (A500 & A700 types). Installing larger value doubler caps and higher current rectifiers is a given, but I'm on the fence about the post-filter treatment. I have a stash of small 500mH / 30 ohm chokes, but I'm not sure yet whether they're optimal for this application (I bought them for use in non-doubler supplies). Anyway, I suspect the limited space in the Cit II would dictate something around 10mH or less, which would also better fit your description of "RF" components. Do the series diodes have equalizing resistors in Jim's design?

I've also been wondering whether it might be effective to configure the doubler filter as a CLC. In other words, the doubler caps would be followed by a small choke, than another filter bank. The second bank would be smaller, just enough to provide isolation from the DCR of the choke for short-term peaks and to ensure that the supply performs as a voltage source at higher frequencies. Luckily, all my rebuilds will be on a new chassis, so space constraints will be only what I make them. :)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.