Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Full wave bridge into Choke PS

The PDF you linked is manufacturer-specific. In this case, Hammond is indicating the difference in the relative volt-amp rating of the transformer when comparing a full wave CT to a full wave bridge. The image below shows the two configurations side by side. I've picked the resistive load examples so as not to confuse this issue with choke vs capacitive input filters.

Note that the transformer can be operated at a higher volt-amp rating when using the full wave bridge. This has to do with factors such as core size/construction and wire gauge. The specific numbers shown above are not universal, however. In the absence of such data, the manufacturer's rating for the full wave CT configuration (usually how the ratings are derived and often printed on the transformer) should be used for both configurations. This means that doubling the voltage output by changing from the CT to the bridge requires limiting the transformer secondary to half the current. That maintains the same volt-amp rating.

Edits: 03/27/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.