Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Is there room in the vertical direction,..

When circumstances dictate, I have used Auricap XO and Dynamicaps, which are both metallized polypropylene film capacitors, and both types have been acceptable to me for sonics. I'd use them in a heart beat, ahead of using an electrolytic, for example. Some like them better than some film and foil types. This is all a matter of opinion in the end. I have no experience with Sonicaps, but Mike Samra has more experience with a wider variety of capacitors than anyone I know.

I don't know what a "Farfisa Combo Organ" is, but I have had zero issues mounting film and foil capacitors in the vertical orientation on a horizontal PCB, when space is at a premium. I've done this extensively during the restoration and tweaking of a pair of Beveridge direct-drive amplifiers that develop mega-high voltages in the output stage. Any capacitor that is so cheaply constructed as to have the end cap "pop loose" must be regarded as a POS to begin with. Perhaps an organ is subject to severe vibration so as to stress the leads; this is pure conjecture on my part. Even then,...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.