Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Metallized caps where space is tight?

I've read these forums enough to be familiar with the usual recommendations for interstage coupling caps, but sometimes, there simply isn't space for large film/foil or PIO capacitors, especially on a PCB. I've seen the messes people have made trying to shoehorn huge capacitors into tiny spaces.

In cases where you have limited space and a radial, metallized polypropylene capacitor is pretty much all that will fit, what are the best options in capacitors that are readily available?

I know that Wima has a good reputation in the MKP4 and MKP10, and some seem to like or prefer the Vishay Roederstein types like the MKP1840. I also noticed a KP1836 on Mouser that's a stacked polypropylene film/foil with a metallized polyester "carrier film." No idea if that would be good or bad. I've read completely contradictory opinions on the Panasonic ECW series although I know some people whose opinions I respect who like them.

In this case, I need capacitors rated at least 600V.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - Metallized caps where space is tight? - Thermionic27609 22:08:31 03/24/17 (27)


Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Message:   (Posts are subject to Content Rules)
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.