Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: It will be rather "El Costoso"

I already have the quartet of #46s on hand. :>D I've got nice sockets too. ;>)

I have a custom filament trafo on order from Heyboer, which is not particularly expensive. The main power trafo is a stock AnTek toroid, which (again) is not a "big ticket" item and already on hand.

The PP O/P "iron" needed is simple. 3.5 Kohms end to end, without UL taps. I'm going to go for at least 35 W. power handling. An "El Cheapo" uses "textbook" GNFB that includes the O/P trafo and that requires power handling capability above the power O/P. Core saturation due to a LF error correction signal SUCKS. Stability is pretty much a non-issue, as the only caps. in the signal path are between the LTP and driver FETs.

As for Class "B2", the #46 contains 2 grids, but is always used as a triode. Tie g2 to the plate and the #46 is much like the #45. OTOH, tie g1 and g2 together and the tube is nearly cut off, with 0 VDC of bias. Look at the data sheet. A near Class "B2" operating point (slightly positive bias) to tame notching/crossover trouble is pretty (IMO) obvious, with 15+ WPC power O/P not being a stretch in the slightest.

Eli D.

Edits: 03/13/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: It will be rather "El Costoso" - Eli Duttman 23:24:06 03/12/17 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.