Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Filament supply with no center tap

I am trying to eliminate the dedicated filament transformers to free up some room in the chassis and utilize the taps on the power transformer. So, on my power transformer, there are 2 x (2.5VAC 3A) taps. I would like to use these in lieu of the dedicated filament transformers that I currently have. The dedicated filament transformers have a center tap.

I tried connecting the power transformer 2.5VAC taps and while I do get 2.5V at the 2A3 tubes, I get no music. Is this because I need a center tap or in this case, a derived center tap by using 2 resistors tied to ground? If so, is 1k ohm resistors the typical value to use? I was using 1k on the dedicated filament transformer center tap. Also, I am trying to avoid using a potentiometer.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, Pat

UPDATE 2/23/17

Thank you for those who responded. I have implemented the "AFTER" schematic listed below. I will perform some critical listening to determine what sonic impact this had vs. the original dedicated filament transformers. IF there is no adverse impact, then I will free up the space within the chassis by completely removing the filament transformers. There appears to be little to no hum. I will measure shortly. At this point, no need for a potentiometer. Thanks again. Pat

"BEFORE" SCHEMATIC

"AFTER" SCHEMATIC

Edits: 02/22/17 02/22/17 02/22/17 02/23/17 02/24/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - Filament supply with no center tap - banpuku 13:17:28 02/22/17 (28)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.