Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

How to Trace Out Tube Amp Schematics

Do you have any university libraries near you ? Even any public library has some electrical or electronic texts which will help. Sure, online research is helpful, and your search engines will be beneficial. However, topic specific sites can be elusive.

Whenever younger sound devotees ask theory questions, I have always directed them to find the earliest magazines and publications concerning our field of interest. As it turns out, the earlier and sometimes earliest texts about radio engineering tend to be the most enlightening. Why, you ask ? Because, the authors knew their audience.

Imagine if a middle school or high school teacher used lighting as their examples instead of "how fast did one train travel until it caught up with another train" questions. We might have all learned electronics at a much younger age...The early radio engineers and PA soundmen knew the folks desiring info probably did not have formal electronic training, so they wrote and "spoke to us" as if we needed all the info in a slower fashion. Later radio and audio engineers seemed to presume the average reader already studied the science, so they dived right into confusing formulae without explaining.

Nevertheless, the early 1930s and 1940s amateur radio "annuals" are extremely helpful to us. They show the schematics and the actual, beautiful underside wiring on close pages. Look for "Radio" annuals from the early 1940s and the like.

Here is a modern online link which is becoming reference grade. Patience while downloading/streaming and going back to the home page often will definitely enlighten you today ! Remember to start with the early publications first...http://americanradiohistory.com/Audio-Magazine.htm

Edits: 02/11/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.