Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Heyboer MQ replacement HTS 5504-1

Operating under the assumption that you have two 120V windings for the primary you can check continuity between the 4 wires and find out which colors are pairs. I would guess that the blacks are a pair and the browns are a pair. Within each pair I would expect the solids are "hot and the "white Stripes" are neutral.

Now, carefully apply 120V to one winding and measure the voltage across the other. If the AC values are similar you can then place the two windings in series and apply 120V from 1 end to the junction (CT if you will) and measure the end to end voltage. If it is in the 230V range then you have found the correct phase and the windings can be reconnected in parallel paying attention to the phase. If the end to end voltage is near 0Vac then the windings are out of phase with each other and one pair needs to be reversed.

a fuse and a variac is always good practice when sniffing out windings but the procedure I outlined shouldn't have any catastrophic failures.

dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.