Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

I think there's some misunderstanding

I believe when Paul said "The voltage in the SEX amp is around 400v..." he meant that the supply voltage is around 400v under operating condition.

That's not the same as saying that the voltage at the coupling cap is 400v under operating condition.

When the amp is first turned on the tubes are cold and not ready to draw current.

Until the tubes are warmed up and start to draw current the full supply voltage will be "everywhere".

Once the tubes are warmed up and the circuit reaches operating condition the voltage at the coupling cap will be lower than the supply voltage (by the amount of voltage drop across the plate load) but still the cap needs to be able to take the full supply voltage, at least for a short time, each time the unit is turned on cold.

So all the caps in a circuit need to be rated at the full supply voltage (plus a little more ie "a bit higher at startup for a few seconds") for safety and longevity.

Tre'
Have Fun and Enjoy the Music
"Still Working the Problem"

Edits: 01/26/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I think there's some misunderstanding - Tre' 08:45:06 01/26/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.