Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: looks like you are enjoying life vinnie!

Vinnie is right... I can eat the rind of preserved lemons straight, add them to salads and Middle Eastern dishes, use the brine in salad dressings (amazing!), smother my naked body... oh, hang-on, this is a semi-public forum... forgot where I was!

Process:

> sterilise the jars by boiling them water, then heating/evaporating in the oven. This needs to be pretty well, but not as thoroughly as other vegies and fruit due to the salt and citirc acid. More of a precaution...

> quarter the lemons or similar (you can do it so they are cut not quite through - they are hanging together, just), coat them and pack the centre with rock salt (not fine salt), then stuff into the jars.

> Add bayleaf and some peppercorns to the jar (you could add other flavours).

> Top up with lemon juice.

> Now, this is where patience kicks in. You can leave the jar somewhere dark and relatively cool or put them in the refrigerator. Leave for at least six (6) weeks... but we prefer at least 3 months... more is better.

The refrigerated version tastes more like fresh lemon and is not as tender - I like this, a lot! The other version is more savoury and rich - gorgeous! Each is enjoyable... I could eat either all day long. If you like olives, you will love these.

Seek advice from Dr. Google, but that is how we do it. Man, I gonna have some right now!

Cheers mate,

"Confusion of goals and perfection of means seems to characterise our age." Albert Einstein

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: looks like you are enjoying life vinnie! - 91derlust 00:11:28 01/20/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.