Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

A challenge to you all

You know, there is so much bickering here - it's the reason I left rec.audio.tubes years ago. But no matter what, I think a place where us "old timers" can help others is not so much in debate about specific topologies and philosophies, but in practical things like actual amp construction. I see few pictures and advice on things like how to create grounding schemes to minimize hum. I'd love to see more pictures of actual amp builds (not breadboards) and preamp builds with a clear layout of how you handled grounding and reduction of hum. I know many have discussed this, but it still gets confusing. So let's see your real world builds and how you addressed this - but only builds that actually resulted in good performance! For example, we talk a lot about star grounds, but if you look at old JE Labs posts you see preamps and even phono-pres that used the ground lug on terminal strips as a way to do this - really? Did that work? Yeah but, major manufacturers used the same approach, so how did you build your greatest noise / hum free amp? And show actual pictures if you can because words can be really confusing. And yes, I'll take some photos soon and post them, I don't want to be left out. My goal? Let's leave micro discussions of insignificant things behind and help newer folks find some audio build success!!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - A challenge to you all - SteveBrown 20:22:49 01/19/17 (35)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.