Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: DIY PPP 6V6 Amp

Cease and desist. I think your lay-out is in need of great improvement.

That needs to be a dual mono amp. Existing chassis is really too small. All the fields from the iron will be interfering and interacting between themselves, and with everything else in the amp.

Are those ST-shaped tubes your rectifiers?? If so, WHY are they on either side of the amp ???? Form follows function. Fix that.

A 5V3A is a nice sounding DIRECTLY heated rectifier, but it will raise the B+ VDC versus other rectifiers, so PSUD that out. If it does raise it above what you prefer, look into using a new Electro Harmonics 5U4GB, another directly heated rectifier tube, available for $13.50 from Antique Electronic Supple in AZ. I plan to order some soon from them.

Once you build dual mono, or better yet, true monoblocks, you will NEVER build a shared supply amp again ! Why ?? There is a clarity obtainable with a non-shared supply, that you will NOT hear / obtain, through any other lesser means. Do not waste your time and waste your life using shared supply power amps!! Do it RIGHT !!

The RCA input jack needs to be located within 2 inches of the grid of the input tube.

Re-do the chassis, re-do the lay out, keep the same tube complement.

From my early stock market, / stock-broker days, I learned this - sometimes your first loss is your best loss !!

Have fun, I certainly sure am. Best wishes.

Jeff Medwin

Edits: 01/11/17 01/11/17 01/11/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.