Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Excess Line Voltage vs Amplifier Sound

I can't comment on what you are experiencing sonically but I do know using the older transformers designed for 115VAC will give you a higher B+ if the B+ isn't dealt with by lowering it. That does shorten tube life but usually what I've always done with that is lower the negative voltage on the grid. As for sonics I do know if you overdrive a tube(which is what a lot of the so called "modders" do) it can tend to sound thinner with less attention to the bass. I don't think it's the bass that is compromised. I think it is more the upper ranges become more prominent. But I too am a novice with a small opinion but I do know what I hear.

Also, I was told by many in audio whom I respect that any type of device used to either condition the AC or lower it squashes the sound stage. Now! That I did experience. Not to a huge degree but in an A-B comparison I did hear it. I was always told the only units that should go through a line conditioner of any type should either be a CD/transport-Dac or a preamp. Anything needed to draw a lot of current should go directly to the wall outlet.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.