Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Thup-thup-thup and static coming from my power amp

This isn't really a from-scratch DIY tube amp, but I'm trying to rehab my tube amp, so I thought this would be a good place to get some guidance.

I have an old Anthem preamp/power amp combo. It's about 18 years old, and seems to be your typical EL-34 based push-pull power amp. A while back, static started coming from the speakers. When I checked it out, one of the resistors in the power amp was cracked, which was an issue I've had in the past with this amp. I've attached a picture of the schematic for this amp. It's R54 that failed. I'm pretty sure the purpose of the resistor is to provide a way to check the bias on the power tubes.

I sent the power amp to Parts Connexion, which is affiliated with Anthem/Sonic Frontiers back in the day. They replaced the resistors (R53-R56), the power tubes, and some of the driver tubes.

When I got my amp back, it was working well, but over a two week period it's developed this fast thup-thup-thup-thup-thup-thup sound, with occasional static. This is a new sound to me. I've swapped all the tubes I can between the left and right channels except for a 12AX7 that's the first input channel tube, and the sound still persists.

Any hints as to what may be wrong? By process of elimination, it looks like if it's a tube problem, it's that first 12AX7. Or could something wrong have happened when the resistors were replaced?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - Thup-thup-thup and static coming from my power amp - Wilbur Pan 14:17:41 12/12/16 (14)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.