Tube DIY Asylum

RE: Voices are just so real

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Tube DIY Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

Vocals through the latter were so lifelike it was scary; I frequently thought someone else was in the house..."

Well, I'm not exactly talking about that degree of realism, though it actually is pretty lifelike. What I mean is that the vocals go beyond mere words - like they talk TO you. You pick up the inflections, the breathing, whatever makes language come alive. It's subtle but it's more than subtle because it actually makes a big difference. I've no idea if I'm making the point clear here. If I A-B the SE and PP amps the difference in emotional impact is obvious, though in other respects the sound is quite close. Once you hear it it's like a drug - it's addictive.

I'm sure other guys hear this because I've often seen posts about uncanny voices with 300b SETs. My speakers are full range single unit Mark Audio Alpair 10s. So no crossover at all. I'd use ribbons if I had more space - I used to use Apogee Caliper Sigs. until one day I decided I'd like to see out the window.

Andy

Follow Ups: