Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Now I have to add something I learned a little bit last night.

I spoke with my friend, a research psychologist out of Princeton last night. I ask him my toughest questions, and he finally convinced me about the onus of proof about something unproven and that which cannot be unproven (this is where science and religion collide).

If the item cannot be proven over many years, it falls into a default state that nothing yet changes current thinking. Seems obvious to me now. That means all evidence points to all amps sound the same. Science is not involved much in audio at all. It's in this religious state that hasn't been taken seriously to try to be changed by scientists, and for scientists to all agree on.

So, I poke fun at the defects in ABX testing as is and offer a new approach (AAA..AX testing), but no one wants to change that poor discerning old method involving bad human memory. But it would be up to someone to publish a real study showing the evidence has been wrong and that we still can hear different amps apart. No one with true credibility has really taken it up and clearly refuted the old paradigm for sure so we can move on to improve things without that cloud hanging over all high-end amp designers.

So, old school remains valid. Old school ABX remains accepted. Surely, we can do better about this situation, but no one is really going to stake their reputation on it, it simply appears.

That is how I see it, anyway. No need to argue about this too much.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Now I have to add something I learned a little bit last night. - commentary 06:09:17 02/04/13 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.