Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Steve Bench

"But what exactly is that difference in farads and what influence does it have on a typical audio circuit. To be clear I am not saying it doesn't exist. I am asking what audible influence the difference makes based on the signal to noise ratio of the circuit?"

That is the question for all time in audio, isn't it? There it is all in the believability of short or long term impressions. I know wiring makes only a small difference, but I believe it does make a difference. And believe me, people can hear signal to nearly -30dB down in random noise. It's another posting of mine long ago why I think 24 bits sounds better over dithered 16 bits.

If you want to "prove" two things are the same, do DBT's. Proving a difference is equally impossible in small shifts of timbre and time domain performance.

If you refuse to believe that you can hear this small change that often disappears right after using it, that's not a bad position to be in. If you believe in the change occurring but realize the effect is measurably very small, that is another good position. Just as long as we now understand ourselves to be doing one or the other.

But blanket statements for all that we just can't have an audible effect is insulting my intelligence. That PIM occurs only at microwave frequencies and not baseband is just one such example people misinterpret the truth about the real world.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Steve Bench - commentary 16:26:05 01/28/13 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.