Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Chassis Source other than Hammond or Par Metal.

Abe,

Good question. There is a lot of flimsy junk out there !!

I go to a local steel supply business, that has plasma cutting, and give them a neat drawing of what I want. I specify 14 gauge steel for best shielding. They cut and brake ( bend ) the unit, and I have a local craftsman weld the corners for me and die grind them smooth. I usually have a 3/4 inch lip on the bottom, and a full bottom plate.

So, I end up with a one piece unit that is strong, and has excellent shielding, and exactly the size I would like it to be. I always specify a Golden Ratio top proportion, 1 to 1.62 ratio. 14 gauge steel can be drilled and tapped with 6/32nd threads, and I use that for sub assembly fastening.

Heavy steel sounds good. My 2A3 stereo amp's chassis was in 12 gauge, and it alone weighed 33 pounds....NOT recommended for mere mortals. 14 gauge is easy to Greenlee punch, 12 gauge is not !!

Finally, after tapping and drilling all the holes I want, where I want them, I have the chassis top and bottom powder coated, and my "fave" is a wrinkle finish, usually midnight blue wrinkle which has some pearl in it.

The chassis may cost $100 to $130 and the powder coat is about $40. I love the results. Speak to a local steel supply outfit and see what they will charge you. Plasma, lazer, or water jet cutting may be what to look for in the yellow pages advertisements. Good luck.

Jeff Medwin

Edits: 01/23/13 01/23/13

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.