Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Subjectivity is a construct, as well

For heaven's sake! We are discussing whether a bit of silver wire produces a different output voltage than a piece of copper wire. We are not discussing some profound philosophical propositions here! Just settle the issue by hooking up an oscilloscope!

It seems to me at times that the subjectivists just want to wallow in a syrup of cultural relativism, in a world where nobody can actually say anything definite and every crackpot's opinion is as valid as everybody else's.

It seems to me that the adherents of the silver wires and special power cords contingent are failing to appreciate that if they are really right, then they are saying some very surprising things about how electricity propagates along metal conductors. If this could be genuinely proven, it would be very interesting indeed.

Let us, for the sake of argument, give them the benefit of the doubt. If they want to convince the hard-nosed scientists (and maybe they don't, and that would be fine too), then they should be embracing the opportunity to carry out rigorous double-blind tests to prove the point. I am genuinely puzzled by the fact that, on the one hand, they tell us that the effects of the silver wire are so obvious that they can't fail to hear it, and yet, on the other hand, double-blind tests are valueless and cannot be trusted. Those kinds of argument are so reminiscent of the the arguments of the paranormal spoon-benders. If there is a real effect there, then please, I would be fascinated if it could be proven! I mean that sincerely. I don't expect that I would be able to hear it myself; my hearing is pretty bad these days, and I wouldn't trust myself to be able to detect subtle nuances. But as a scientist, I would be genuinely fascinated if someone who claims to be able to hear the differences could demonstrate it in rigorous, third-party controlled, double-blind tests.

As I said before, just because "musicality" is an abstract and subjective concept, it doesn't mean that there can't be an objective content to experiments testing whether somebody's discrimination between musical and unmusical sounds is reliable or not. Just like testing if someone can distinguish between blue and red, even though the conscious appreciation of blueness and redness is abstract and subjective.

Chris

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.