Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: What people hear?

>>We have to use subjective means to determine if the objective goal is being meet but the goal, as I see it, is not subjective.

Very good point.

This is why the kind of clinical study that we see enshrined in blind testing is properly called "Behavioralism."

Psychology went that way because they realized they could not read minds but they wanted to make an empirical science out of it, so they focused on behavior....how people react, what they say in response, which button they punch, etc. in response to stimuli. these empirical behaviors can be counted, run through statistical manipulations, etc.

It is a fake rig up to make the unseen visible, like the Harman ABX lab.

In context, the discussion being about deductive logic, my point was however you want to establish that an individual heard X, say by numerous blind testing trials, it takes only one contrary result to invalidate a "covering law" argument.

My personal position is that the hearer knows and if that is good enough for her, I got to accept it because it really doesn't have anything to do with me and I can't prove it either way. It is just another bit of anecdotal data.

I can sy people say that or seem to like or whatever, but I can only KNOW if I hear myself, And I have developed the habit of trying not to generalize results for myself because no two situations are the same.

Factuality is not really native to the discussion of music aesthetics, which is my main concern.

Deduction is totally off base, as I discussed in the other thread.

------------------------------

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must remain silent -- Wittgenstein

Free your mind and your ass will follow -- Parliament/Funkadelic

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.