Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Interesting Factoid

"Something just doesn't add up here when you bring the entire electronics industry into the question."

Or perhaps it adds up only too well...dollars,...lots of them?

To me, it is just a little too convenient that there are lots of ready excuses available to explain why double-blind tests aren't to be trusted, how true initiates have senses that go beyond anything that mere scientists with their obsession with experiment and verification can appreciate, and so on.

On the subject of measurability, I am a little unclear about what exactly you are saying, Joe. Would you agree that if two amplifiers push out the same output signal Vout(t) into the speaker, then they MUST sound the same? No "ifs," no "buts"? Would you agree that if the two amplifiers produce distinguishable sounds, then their outputs Vout(t) MUST be different? Thus, are we in agreement that given sufficiently precise measuring equipment, it MUST be possible to correlate a genuine difference between the sound of two amplifiers with some measurable differences between the output signals Vout(t) in the two cases? In other words, is any disagreement between you and me on this point simply a question of whether modern measuring apparatus is accurate enough to reveal those differences that must be there?

Or are you wanting to assert that an amplifier is more than just a mechanical device that converts Vin(t) at the input to Vout(t) at the output?

Note that I am NOT claiming that by looking at the measurements it will necessarily be possible to predict whether the amplifier will sound more musical or less musical. I am simply trying to get an explicit agreement or disagreement with the proposition that if the sounds are different then it must mean that the output signals Vout(t) must be different, and therefore this could be reveled with sufficiently precise measurements.

If the short run of silver wire in place of copper wire really does have a profound influence on the sound, then it must be possible to figure out a correlation with some measurable quantity.

Chris

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.