Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Interesting Factoid

>> I did not read this thread through

That would be a painful experience indeed!

I have to stop and ask why I am taking hours writing detailed thoughtful mini-essays in the middle of this endless crazy thread, which is mainly about trading snipes with Low Mu and whatnot.

I hope somebody reads these posts and gives them some serious thought, because this level of reflection/reflexivity is sorely lacking in this dialogue. Chris, for one, seems to be taking it seriously, so I replied to him.

In the end, the free silver transformers that Slagle will no doubt provide to me will be payment enough.

Incidentally, Slagle's silver autoformer, custom made for Silbatone, is very different from him copper autoformer.

-------------------------------------

>> But a few inches of silver wire versus copper inside a speaker driving audio amplifier? I can't buy into that at all.

Easy enough to try. Why live in suspense?

I have heard differences between silver and copper and even different types of silver wire in short lengths within components.

Some silver wire seems to offer more dramatic "differences" than others. For example, Audio Note silver lits is quite distinctive sounding and as a high "audibility factor," to coin a term.

The way I would phrase my position is that "Some silver wire is audibly different in some situations." To which one might add ..."to some people."

I add that last part because I don't know if all "civilian" listeners even note minor phenomenal differences if they don't think they make a difference in practical or qualitative terms.

It is foolish for "scientists" to hold that all silver wire is indistinguishable from copper. It is impossible to verify this claim

--------------------

A Note on LOGIC for the Audio Nerd:

DEDUCTION

In deductive logic, arguing from general to particular such as applying scientific laws to particular events, ONE deviation destroys the law.

If I drop one apple from the Tower of Piza and it drops at 34 ft/sec squared instead of 32ft/second squared, the Law of Gravity is trashed.

If there is ONE case in which silver wire is audible, that blows the WHOLE "wire is wire" generalization.

This sort of generalized claim is very fragile, unless it is based in bedrock-solid truth.

INDUCTION

In inductive reasoning, arguing from particulars to generalizations, if one instance of an experiment yields divergent results, no big deal. The validity and relevance of all of the individual bits of evidence is preserved.

Say we are taking an inductive approach to the question "Do UFOs exist?"

Finding one case where the reported UFO is actually swamp gas (whatever the hell that is) does not invalidate or even influence the unique character of a separate UFO report. Each event is its own thing and a distinct datum point.

If I find ONE fully verifiable UFO report, say a 5N silver metal craft with dead aliens in it, then I can conclude that UFOs do exist.

IF the is ONE SINGLE CASE where silver wire is audible, then you are out of luck with the "wire is wire" narrative.

Now, who wants to make that claim, for all silver wire in all applications for all listeners?

One autistic wunderkind who can hear an inch of wire in one experiment and all the objectivist thugs from DiyA will be forced to lick their B+ terminals and end it all, cause life in a morass of subjectivist speculation ain't worth livin'.

Better yet, they should come lick MY B+ terminal because most of these guys use solid state because it measures better.

Note I use "audibility" which is a rather clinical concept. As a music listener I am more interested in the way a certain element impacts my own long term satisfaction and appreciation of the music I like to listen to. if it is "different" that doesn't mean much. I want "better." This part of the dialogue extends beyond the boundaries of mathematico-logical method.

------------------------------

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must remain silent -- Wittgenstein

Free your mind and your ass will follow -- Parliament/Funkadelic

Edits: 09/03/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.