Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Where can I find the list of octal tubes with Mu over 100?

If you take a normal pentode or beam-power tube and connect the two grids (control and screen) together (not the usual triode connection), you will get an extremely high mu factor. So high that the grid cut-off voltage will be very low. However, the plate voltage is not limited to the maximum screen voltage, as in the normal plate-screen connection for triode use.
For an example, see the high-voltage power supply on page 382 of Elmore and Sands, "Electronics: Experimental Techniques", McGraw Hill 1949 (National Nuclear Energy Series, Manhattan Project Technical Section). This power supply uses two 807s, each connected per above, to make high-mu high-voltage triodes. In that example, mu = 350 and gm = 2000 umho. Since the 807 is not octal, try 6L6 or 6BG6 for almost the same result. I would be curious to see the result with a lower-power pentode such as 6AC7 or 6SJ7.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Where can I find the list of octal tubes with Mu over 100? - TimFox 12:03:40 08/29/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.