Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Filament bias and DHTs transformed my system.

"So, individuals should suggest what they prefer..."

I'll take you up on that. Just a personal view of the sound that works for me, which has been worked out over several years through trial and error and the advice and ideas of several creative asylum seekers, looking to cross the frontier to paradise.

Three things transformed my own 300b SET system:

1. Directly heated triodes for ALL tubes, not just outputs. This was a huge step forwards - at last I got all the delicacy, instrumental timbre and transparency I was seeking. Tubes like 10Y, 46, 26, 4P1L are levels above any indirectly heated tubes. Yes, you need them in all the line/input stages, not just the outputs.

2. Filament bias. This all came out of the 26 preamp project, which is a huge thread on DIY Audio called "26 pre amp". It works beautifully for tubes like the 26 and 4P1L (in triode) and has now become the preferred biasing method for the latest generation of 26 preamps. It works great for the 4P1L as a driver stage, and I now use 4P1L as the input tube as well.

3. Transformer coupling all the way through. Expensive, but does away with caps, plate resistors, grid chokes and all the rest. With three stages you need two interstages - I'm using LL1660/18mA and Hammond 126C for the input and driver stages, both 4P1L in filament bias.

I hate bypassed cathode resistors, and am trying to summon up the courage to use filament bias to replace the bypassed 1K resistor on the 300b. That's a bit nuts, if you do the calculations. Something like a 50 ohm cathode resistor at 200 watts. It's not impossible....

I'd just like to end by saying that ALL the advances I ever made were through collaboration. Without the generosity of spirit of fellow builders and forums like this none of it would have been possible. We learn and learn.

Andy

Edits: 08/29/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.