Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Where does the current come from?

"rage, WHY do you think your DC 2A3 amp (at home) does what it does ???

:-)

You are cool.

rage, please re-read JLH's post entitled "The Power Transformer, etc etc ", towards the end of his chronological compilation. Cheers."

My simple understanding is that with a giant power transformer being used (3x current requirements or more), then small chokes and caps are more than capable of taking care of the ripple...and the low resistance chokes "get out of the way" when the current is needed.

The alternative being to design for low ripple, with big chokes and then having to use a large final cap as a reserve for the finals...which IMO is a compromise...one that might be needed if working with vintage stuff and undersized power transformers.

I think with SE designs much of the time the large choke/caps are used to make the supply quiet enough for the driver stage and that it is a compromise to design a power supply with only ripple in mind.

In the case of my amp, which you oversaw and helped built.... it quite simply kicks ass... more then enough to watch movies every night... plenty of bass without a sub... and reliable enough to run 6-12 hours a day since its been built.

I've read the JLH document, as well as everything else you've sent me...30-50 times.... and review all of it quite regularly.

I also like to see the technical explanations from the engineer types here.... even when they aren't in agreement with what I hear...as it applies at work and helps me get a better grasp on electronics theory.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.