Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Thanks!

Hi Dave,

Thanks. WHOOAH !!!

My initial suggestion, is to model things as much as possible, like they are :

(1) Start the power supply "at the beginning", with about a sub ten ohm power transformer, which determines the dynamic Z of a source-fed supply such as what I propose. My PTs are typically 0.74 Ohm primary, 8.4 Ohm secondary (half).

(2) Use a Pasternak Flywheel for L1/C1.

L1 being usually a Triad C-56U, C1 usually being 20 uF.

Alternatively, it is sometimes for L1, a Signal Transformer Co. 0.9 pound CL-1-2. 72 mHY at 1.4 Ohms at 1 A.

(3) Use a L2 as follows : the new EDCOR CX-87 2 HY at 300 mA. ( 2 Hy 21 Ohms) C2 can be 47 to 50 uF.

Alternatively, for L2, use 2 HY at 7 Ohms at 500 mA. rated

(4) Use two 5U4Gs, or two 5V3As. I never use the 5AR4.

(5) Allow the total load to be about 60 mA. a complete channel of a SE 2A3 amp I would build.

I don't know how to use PSpice, and I would be curious to see what you come up with.

L1 is always ugly looking in my PSUD 2 sims, but L2/C2, at the all-important point of use, can be made acceptable looking to me by juggling values.

Thanks, for not having me have to have to learn to use PSpice.!!!!!!!!!!!

When we get done with all this, I suggest we do an A-B of the two best examples of these power supply technologies, on a GOOD audio system, to determine what performs the best.

Now THAT would be a lot of fun !!

Also Dave, I will email you the JLH and Swenson chronological compilations. They are a "must read" if you intend to explore a "modern supply" with the fullest understanding. Have fun. Thanks.

Jeff Medwin

Edits: 08/24/12 08/24/12 08/24/12 08/24/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Thanks! - drlowmu 15:20:02 08/24/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.