Tube DIY Asylum

Top of my head, bottom of my heart......

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Tube DIY Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

Hi Amateur,

Quick analysis and comment. The supply you posted is neither fast or optimal. High HYs and high Cs are NOT your friends. Use as little as possible to get the job done.

In Push Pull, you can have 2 VAC of ripple and it will not be a problem.

I have simulated your supply, guessing at the DCR of the 300 mA. rated power transformer. It is pretty poor at a 15% step test. It settles in about 550 mS., and has a dynamic Z of 12 volts drop divided by 31.2 mA. current change, or, 384 Ohms.

My suggestion has under 1 VAC of ripple , inaudible to the Finals in P-P, and it settles in 30 mS ( 18 times fater) and drops only 3.8 VDC on a 15% current step. The Dynamic Z is 3.8 VDC drop divided by 15.75 mA. current change, or about 241 Ohms.

Your supply uses two expensive 5AR4 cathode type rectifiers, my suggestion is to use two less expensive 5U4GBs. Hammond 300 series power transformer, a shared L1, which can do 2 A. of current, and a "Y" arragement of two EDCOR 2 HY 21 Ohms open frame chokes, one for each channel. I have drastically reduced the DCR, HYs, and uFs in the supply.

What I suggested, what I would term a "modern " power supply will ROCK on playing music. The amp will kick butt.

Listeners know this.

Jeff Medwin

Edits: 06/20/12   06/20/12

Follow Ups: