Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Thanks, TK and Tre'

What TRE did was point out the obvious to me-- as well as to others. Oh, yes, I was aware of it-- I designed BECAUSE OF it.... but TRE has put it into a logical explanation.

There are two different worlds here-- one-- the majority of DIY'ers-- are designing power supplies for Push-Pull, Class A amps. The L-Critical supply works well enough for those as long as they don't stray out of Class A mode.

As TRE pointed out, even the Class A-- SE amp draws plate current in surges-- according to signal input. This is why I called TRE's post a great post... TRE sees it.

This requires a battery-like power supply. The less internal series resistance it has, the less cap-recharging it requires, and the less inductance-induced bucking it has, then the closer to an ideal battery it is.

Now-- to the battery-- the only batteries I know of that don't suffer from serious diode-effects, varying internal series resistances, straying capacitances, etc., are FLOODED Lead-Acid batteries-- the old Car Battery, which you have kindly shown here.

This is the best battery-- sonically. There are two things to note-- no, make it 3:

(1) The battery can leak acid. (2) It is still a capacitor.... you can live with this in some cases, and (3) Wiring to and from the battery must be short and high-quality. Now, that last one is interesting! I have used umbilicals, and then treated the power, once inside the user-chassis, just like it had come from a normal outside P.S.-- it required clean-up again-- once INSIDE the user chassis. How much? Depends on how the magnetic and static influences inside your listening room are.

Once upon a time, you could take the battery rig outside town, and run the battery direct. Pristine!

NOT anymore! Just LOOK at that bristling, sizzling, sputtering, and intermodulating Distortion Generator sitting atop that Corn Silo over there-- or whatever! It runs Cell Phones-- and what else? No wonder manufacturers are installing AGM or other small Gel-Cells inside of components.

---Dennis---

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.