Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

My experiences

My "highly unscientific" experience was when I was in an audio club years ago. We had four or five different interconnects, most of them DIY type. One guy would change out the interconnect between the CD player and preamp. He would tell us when he made a change, but it was otherwise blind to us as to which one was being used.

Four of us listened and wrote down our preferences. All four of us chose the same interconnect (a hollow sliver tube with Teflon spaghetti covering) as the best. If memory serves me, three of us chose the same one as our next favorite. Hardly scientific, but I found it interesting. It certainly eliminated the "These are the prettiest" or "These cost the most" bias.

That being said, when I wanted to learn more about working on tube equipment, I took a basic electronics course at a local community school. This was basic, AC, DC, resistance, Ohm's Law, etc. stuff. When we got to the part about electrons moving through wire I remember thinking "How can wire make any difference to the sound?" while learning the concept. And this was from an elementary course in electricity.

I can only imagine the level of doubt I'd have developed if I'd pursued an EE degree.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.