Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: What's all this "modern" power supply?

Deathtube and also Andy,

While it is true we generally are using the modern power supply approach with SE DC L-W types amplifiers, such usage is certainly NOT limited Deathtube to that type of circuit.

Andy, what Dennis and I have elected to call a "modern" supply, is one that uses elements of low DCR, low HY, and low C, so as to minimize storage energy when feeding the finals stage.

There exists two sub-headings that divide the term "modern" supply. First, there is the original "LSES" or "low stored energy supply", and second, there is a later development from that concept, called "Flywheel". Flywheel exists as a result of my Forum posts of Dennis' supply, and is the intellectual property of Henry Pasternak. The Flywheel term only pertains to the L1/C1 portion of a LSES supply.

Henry's Flywheel uses a very small L1, about 35 mHY is typical, and only about 15 to 20 uF for C1. Henry has demonstrated on this Forum to us that this parts combination offers measurably better voltage regulation, in dynamic terms, than a conventional choke input L1 that reaches L-Critical.

Dennis and I co-decided to name ALL supplies which use elements of low DCR, low HY, and low C as "modern supplies", as opposed Andy, to what people have used and built over the last 100 years.

There you have it, there should be no confusion anymore. I hope I was clear in expressing these names. Yes Deathtube, it is very convenient to use the term "modern", I agree !!

Andy, there presently exists two USA audio manufacturers who use a modern supply to my knowledge. The originator, Dennis Fraker of course, in the Serious Stereo 2A3 amp since 1989, and Larry D. Moore Esq., of Ultra-FI, in his Monoco 845 SE amp. There are however, a growing number of private USA builders who use aspects of the modern supply to their finals, and these individuals find it superior to traditional supplies reaching L-Critical.

Regards,

Jeff Medwin

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.