Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

MrBob: Regulation

IMPO:
Will this Drlowmu G2 supply work? YES
Will this supply sound good? YES
Is it overkill? YES
Will it hurt anything other than cost money and space? NO. (The use of doubled up silver wire however is simply absurd! A real waste of money)

OK, since your project is a DIY build and not mass production there is no problem with using it. However based on common knowledge of Pentode operation it's not necessary.

Now there is one minor flaw. It is not a true regulated supply. The low DCR secondary does impart good rough load regulation. The current draw is miniscule compared to the capacity so signal loading won't be an issue. However it will vary with AC line voltage changes by a factor of two. I don't like that but many areas have good utility AC stability.

Now about regulated power supplies. It is true if not designed properly they do impart a sonic deficiency to the amplified signal. And design is difficult to do at high current levels - especially in SS amps. That phenomenon however is only an issue with power amps, specifically the output stages. Preamps, signal processing devices, and even the power amps driver stages benefit greatly from active regulation. In my builds of three KT88 PP amps for midrange service I found the best compromise was unregulated finals but a regulated driver stage.

The problems with regulators is rising impedance with rising frequency AND rising current demands. Exactly what happens on a power output stage. The entire audio industry finally acknowledged back in the 70s that the best power supply for amps is a simple rectifier/filter. Remember the Dynaco 120? This is a great example of a bad regulator design but with respect to Dynaco it was an achievement for the time with the low HFE power transistors of the day.

Saying that regulators "sound bad" is a very sweeping broad statement. While not untrue in some cases, the theory and therefore applied practice of good audio regulator design is beyond the novice hobbiest as well as theater projectionist, irrigation mechanic, fashion audio product builder. Without the deeper understanding of electronic theory it's probably to just best avoid regulation period. Note this has nothing to do with university education as is often ridiculed by some here. Especially with the internet today, anyone determined can learn this stuff. There are many good articles published on this very subject of audio power supply regulation.

Edits: 08/10/12 08/10/12 08/10/12 08/10/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.