Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: In Pentode, G2 is of prime importance

Tell 'em, Jeff! Point out the obvious so highly trained "yes" people can-- some day-- and in some way, finally understand-........------ THE OBVIOUS!

Really! We're arguing about a power supply that is about to be attached to A GRID-- for !~@#$%^&* sake! A GRID!

I developed superior power supplies for plates of triodes-- and you have used parts of this information to help many forum members. And you did this without tons of engineering training. Well, it's been good anyhow!

That was S.E. triodes-- a plate supply. Made a difference-- huge.

But NOW-- we're talking G2 in a pentode or Tetrode amp! THIS application is FAR more critical than in a simple S.E. triode Plate Supply.

Hey! If you guys know ANYTHING-- you know how LARGE--- ANY--- changes on G2 will sound. IT IS OBVIOUS!

Let's just be blunt: IF any one of you install a voltage or current regulator on a G2 Supply-- you will listen to THAT-- NOT, I repeat-- NOT-- to ANY FORM of music.

AND, if that supply has High-DCR chokes and large capacitors in it-- you WILL be listening to that mess stumble all over the place-- desperately trying to salvage some small part of the musical signal.

G2 supplies are super-critical, they must be engineered to NOT interfere with the tube's TWO GRIDS-- operation-together, as a whole.

GO AHEAD! Get with it!-- all the usual bullshit and theory. HERE it comes! JEFF! Get ready!

Jeff could simply apply a decent G2 supply to any separately-powered G2 setup in any Pentode or Tetrode amp-- and the difference would be starkly obvious.

Enough is enough. We've had arguments for years about the simple requirements of two-stage triode S.E. amp's Plate Supplies-- the differences were large and obvious-- on great speakers.

BUT NOW-- you're talking about G2 power for a Tetrode or Pentode amp!

ANYTHING you do to mess up a G2 supply will be amplified-- starkly obvious and it won't be good, Dudes-- NOT VERY GOOD!! Of course, you can deny that. Just run ordinary speakers, sources, and interconnects-- and you'll never notice (as usual?)! Maybe.

Or you just might anyhow! G2 is a rather sensitive spot-- after all, it's a grid! I think you probably WILL notice THAT!

---Dennis---

Edits: 08/09/12 08/09/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: In Pentode, G2 is of prime importance - tube wrangler 15:35:44 08/09/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.