Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

No Practical DIY Building expereince????

http://home.earthlink.net/~tubesforht/
http://home.earthlink.net/hdtv101/

This set up is in my HOME! The HT pictures are a bit dated as i am now all server based versus the DVHS decks and DVD. But a lot of the digital audio gear and video switching was fabricated at home in my lab.

As you can see Bob, there is nothing wrong with PC boards in tube gear. I agree if one lacks the facilities to make boards, point to point is fine. Even though you can get hobbiest prototype boards made these days for less than $100, tube gear still lends it's self quite well to point to point wiring. But anyone saying PC boards "sound bad" has no idea what they are talking about. Ask them why a PC board sounds "bad" and see what kind of answer you get. I can guarantee it won't be backed up by any scientific evidence or tests data. Quite to the contrary www.tubelab.com has found that his designs actually performed better after being taken from a point to point model to a PC board. This is right in line with known electrical engineering practice. PC boards do make mass production possible but at the same time they also make precision repeatable results possible. BTW, the guy at tubelab is an EE designing cell phones for a living.

And for you Jeff, want to participate in a construction / packaging contest? Don't forget I do this for a living too.

Have you or Dennis ever designed and built a device where wire length and component placement really does matter? Like high speed digital image processing gear. I have! So let's just say your theories on wire length and critical component placement in a 1920s design SE amplifier is just that. A theory which has been dis-proven ages ago.

Edits: 08/08/12 08/08/12 08/08/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • No Practical DIY Building expereince???? - gusser 10:27:06 08/08/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.