Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Curcio vs Dyna?

Jeff,

Thanks for the rapid feedback.

Fully agree on hearing before purchase but that only works for me with mass produced, identical items. If you and I each built a component having only the transformers and circuit boards in common, they would sound differently. Perhaps subtly, maybe dramatically but most probably not indistinguishable from one another.

BUT... I can get close in that the driver circuitry is, essentially, identical to the driver board I installed in the premium Dyna MKIII's I used (and loved!) for some 20 years. The outputs are 6550's (again, as in the MKIII's) only doubled in numbers. It's almost a test bed of doubling the power and improving the quality of all of the coils, with a minimal alteration of the supporting circuitry.

I see your point about the Hammond transformers/chokes but it seems that this Magnequest line is proprietarily designed for this amp and available only from Curcio Audio. This doesn't overly bother me in that the price for 2 power transformers, 2 output transformers, and 2 chokes while high, (WAY more than I have ever spent for such items!!) it's very much in sync wit other Magnequest products.

In for a penny, in for a pound?

Bob Roemer

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.