Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Curcio vs Dyna?

Hey, common sense. I think you need to HEAR the amp, before you jump into the fire financially on a big DIY build project.

It would be better to spend the money on an airline ticket and HEAR the amp somewhere, or even MUCH better yet, have someone ship theirs to you to use temporarily on YOUR speaker load.

AS to MQ iron, I think it is a real "plus" in the realm of output trannies, because Mikey is as good as it gets in that area of design and execution. Get them!!

For chokes and power transformers, I would suggest to use Hammond. There is a new (two years old) line of Hammond 300 series power trannies, that have DCRs across the entire HV secondary as low as 21 and 11 Ohms, and THOSE would be "the ones" to use, typically rated at 500 mA or more, look them up !! Those would have fabulous self-regulation.

Don't let anyone tell you that because you are regulating everything, the trannie and choke DCRs won't matter, because the self regulation and DCR of the iron ( PT and Ls ) is clearly HEARD through the active regulators. Also, of course, your Finals are unregulated, so ONLY use the Hammond pieces with the lowest DCR you can find.

There is one other factor, before you spend a lot of effort pondering what to do, you better check with Curcio to see if the iron is still available, and IN STOCK, because if its a low demand amplifier, you will be on the hook waiting for it to be wound.

I really shudder about you embarking upon this without FIRST hearing the amps on your speaker load !!!

Have you ever heard Paoli 60Ms with GE6550s? Its a Mark 3 Dyna variant, with a good reputation, that does well on ESLs. I have all the original schematics, Patent papers, and fully-developed ideas to improve the unit, already documented. It uses a SIMPLE circuit, with NO regulators, which is a sonic plus.

Note, any time someone actively regulates the screen on a Pentode, the regulator leaves its signature on the music, in a negative way. None of the active regulators are good enough, transparent sounding enough, for that super sensitive area, G2.

We know how to treat G2 fabulously well in 2012, using passive components for a superbly performing screen supply. I'd be happy to share such design data with you.

Jeff Medwin

Edits: 08/05/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.