Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: 4 pole caps in a voltage doubler circuit

Yes you can use them. The extra lugs ("poles") are just to get a low inductance connection to the external circuit. In switch mode power supplies switching at 100s of kHz that is very important. Can't hurt for an audio amp. I have a bag of 470uF/450V caps (inherited from the day job) with 4 terminals like these.

Like any voltage doubler make sure the "top" caps do not have an exposed case connected to the -ve terminal which in a voltage doubler circuit will sit at half rail voltage, got a nasty surprise from a cheap Chinese 845 SET which had dergraded insulation on the "top" cap (Half rail was 440V).
Series connecting caps for both top and bottom positions is OK, ALWAYS use voltage share resistors across series connected caps. Make sure the voltage share resistors are appropriate value - biggest mistake I see with posted designs using series connected caps is using way too high a value share resistor value.

Work out the typical leakage current from the formulae on the data sheet or if not given use the following:
Ileak = 0.006 CV
where C is the capacitance value (in Farads) and V is the applied voltage (not the caps rated voltage) and then size the the resistor such that you get at least 3 times that leakage current in the share resitor ( 5 times is better). Then do an I squared R calc to get the power dissipated and use a resitor of at least 3 times that power rating.

Example Calc:
assume your caps are 1000uF 160V and you will have 130V applied
leakage current from above will be 0.8mA.
Want 5 x 0.8 = 4mA in the share resistor, 130V across it so 27K share resitor is what you need. I squared R gives you 0.43 watts, use a 2W metal film minimum.

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Ian

Edits: 07/30/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: 4 pole caps in a voltage doubler circuit - Gingertube 21:05:05 07/30/12 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.