Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Robert Fulton

When I met Bob it was 1977. It was about the same time I got the idea for the amplifier.

We used to meet at one of his employee's house, that of Bob Fredere. It was there that I also first met Bill Johnson of ARC- they were good friends. It was really through Bob and his association of audiophiles that got me in to high end audio. Some of those audiophile friends are now working at ARC.

I had obtained a set of 80s from a friend, but soon had a set of J's and then a set of Premieres. After Bob F moved away to Utah, I continued to meet up with Bob Fulton at the house of a Fred Devere in St. Paul. That is where I heard Bob's newest work with the Oval Window bass cabinets (a modified Helmholtz resonator). At the time it was the deepest and most effortless bass I had ever heard and still one of the better presentations.

Fred bought a set of our early MA-1s on Bob's recommendations. A few months later Bob died quite unexpectedly due to pneumonia after back surgery. Many people don't realize the contributions he made to the sport; more than any other single person he is responsible for the high end cable industry, which has had a very broad influence- even Radio Shack sells upscale cables now. There are of course his speakers. I think they have been surpassed but they still qualify as high end, and he proved that there was an upscale market for such things - when he was making the J's there was not a lot out there that was competition. Now the speaker manufacturing is one the largest sectors of the high end market.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Robert Fulton - Ralph 09:30:34 07/26/12 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.