Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Marketing, plain and simple

This is not something that is easy for me to discuss, but you've been on my case about this a number of times over the years and the fact of the matter is there is an aspect about our circuit that is not obvious from the published diagrams.

Its not obvious because we've been careful to make sure none of the diagrams are complete, even in the kit manuals- they don't show everything about this amp. So here is the part that I have not talked about for a long time (and I feel like I am revealing **way** too much but you won't go away without a correct answer): this amplifier employs two very simple sliding bias schemes. The problem is that there are also 2 different patents in this area and we working around both of them to achieve our goal without infringement or disclosure. It is the latter two aspects that have been the gravest concern.

So the correct answer to your question is that there is no one point that satisfies. There are two curves that describe a range- the amplifier increases the bias as the power is increased, in a way not apparent from the diagrams.

Its been a trade secret for some time and if you look back in my posts and our prior (and somewhat terse) conversations on the phone you may be able to find clues that I have inadvertently dropped. I am not willing to file a patent as the information has to be disclosed and I really don't want to do that... there is a reason why so many OTL manufacturers have failed and we are still around.

It is this sliding bias scheme that is why the tubes do not cut off when the amp is at full power, despite your simulations indicating they should. In your simulations you have one set of conditions at idle, but to simulate full power you would need at least a 2nd set of conditions. That would approximate what is going on.

All of the amps are set up to do this so at idle they won't run as hot, but will still make full power without excessive distortion. But its more than that; to get the amplifier to have instantaneous overload recovery some of the design aspects are essential. They have the added plus of decreasing IM distortion and increasing reliability, which IMO is why we are still here after 36 years.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.