Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: I am shocked!

I believe they are 2-watt 10 ohm resistors, obviously non-flamable variety. I replaced two of them with metal-film, inexpensive, resistors, and have noticed that the original resistors are way off spec. Yes, I measured in-circuit and I don't see the problem with that in this case. If the original resistors are carbon composition -- why would they use these?? -- then I can see the carbon breaking down gradually. At least, they age towards less bias, which is good for the tubes. The metal film resistors don't seem pertubed by age unless unduly stressed.

Yes, the circuit failure has been perplexing as it mostly occurred in one circuit -- and the circuits are all the same mostly -- I mean they even share the same voltage lines. About 30-1 if I had to give it odds as in a horse race ;-) I am ready to replace the socket on that one as it got flamed a bit as well one time, oops!

I figure if I replace the socket -- can't hurt unless I can't solder. Then I add a resistor leg to hold the bias down in case the pot is intermittent. Maybe resolder some more connections. Damn, it sounds good when it's playing ;-) Defintely a love/hate relationship!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.