Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Is this an optimal PS for my first build?

Lektrik, I understand that the PS is for a 20 Watt per channel amplifier.
You may want to model it on PSUD with only one 5AR4, I believe that there is no need to double-up the rectifiers.

Also, a 5-10 Henry 50 mA choke for the input stage will certainly sound much cleaner (less audible hum).

Your schemo does not include R13, R15, C13 and C15, which are included in the amplifier schematic but are actually part of the power supply. Make sure to insert those in the PSUD model (actually a total of four RC filters for a stereo amp).

I have read that a PS should not have identical filters in sequence, in order to avoid LC ringing. The easiest way out is to change the value of either C2 or C3.
I like a smaller C2 to reduce heat and possible buzz on the first choke. Say 100 uF ?

I assume you have designed a quasi choke input power supply. While playing with PSUD, be aware that C1 will see huge AC spikes. Click on its voltage graph and use a cap rated at least double the peak-to-peak voltage shown on the graph, otherwise the cap will heat up and may explode. Make sure that it is a high-ripple or AC-rated cap: paper in oil or polypropilene and oil.
Have fun!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.