Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Is this an optimal PS for my first build?

Hi Larry,

there is no single optimum way to good power supply design. There are different schools of thoughts and each claims good sound results. You will very likely get contradicting suggestions.

PSU design is a topic which often triggers heated debates. Way too much focus on PSU design IMHO

Looking at the power supply in isolation without any information about the actual amp circuit attached, does not make a lot of sense. It is true that the power supply is an integral part of the amp and will contribute a lot to the sound. But it is not the only part. The amp itself is just as important.

Here are my preferences:

- get the best possible power transformer (within your budget) for your design. An electrostatic screen between primary and secondary is very important.

- I prefer full wave bridge rectifiers with 4 diodes over the center tapped configuration

- resort to TV dampers, they are cheaper and better rectifiers IMHO

- I prefer higher inductances and smaller caps 220uF oilers will be huge. I stick with values around 50uF, often smaller.

- I would use a higher inductance to decouple the front end. If on a budget, rather save this inductance and do RC decoupling

Best regards

Thomas

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.