Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Dynaco ST-35 PC boards on Ebay

I have to agree that its a strong possibility that the WIMA's are fake.

In the past, I have had equipment that used WIMAS and sounded very good.

The Dynaco PAS-4 was one of them.

Once I pulled the WIMAS and those small "mystery" cream colored Pico-farad caps, the ST-35 amplifier opened up and now sounds awesome.

No distortion.

I am not sure if the small cream colored Pico-farad caps are Tantalum as I have never seem them before.

Pulling these caps made a difference as well but not as much as the WIMA'S.

Especially the one that across the input resistors; C2.

I replaced C7 with a 500V silver mica (has 22pf on hand, not 27pf).

Also pulled out C6 altogether as this was also contributing to the distorted sound. Running the amp without this until a get an Silver Mica 500V 18pf replacement.

Coming from China the PC boards are very well made, except for the Capacitors I have to admit..

The Metal film resistors look high quality and haven't given any grief.

But I can't say the same about the capacitors on the board.

The PC boards have held up very well to my troubleshooting (removing and resoldering parts).

This board also offers differently spaced cap solder pads for C4, C5 and C3 that are spaced for "Real" WIMA caps :) or larger axial capacitors.

I am using Kimber's for C4 and C5, a regular Polyester "Brown-Orange" cap for C3.

My plan to ask the seller if they are willing to sell the Bare Boards, no parts. The board material is solid and the PC traces are pretty thick, they don't lift with the soldering gun heat.

This is the link to the boards I purchased....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/pair-Dynaco-ST35-ST-35-Amp-Fully-BOARD-PC13-free-delive-/290524674281?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.