Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Optimum speed for drilling pc boards???

I would say go slow. You can also use a pin chuck with "wire guage" small bits to make good-fitting holes if you are using through-hole components and soldering them in without eyelets. Sometimes I will use finger pressure only with the pin chuck when working with #55 and higher numbers. It will dig in and drill just fine, but it takes longer than a drill. The finger pressuer is less likely to break tiny bits, a risk when using a power drill.

Otherwise you can slip the pin chuck into a variable speed drill, and go slow at first. On metal you want to take it slow. If you need to drill through a layer of copper and then out the other side with a layer of copper for a two-sided connection, use a waste piece of MDF or wood to back it up so you don't push the copper off the back or leave a burr.

If you are in the USA, Woodcraft stores sell a pin chuck and a nice set of the smallest #61-80 bits (or someting like that range). Both pin chucks and small bits are also available on Ebay. For thicker wires like those on on wirewound resistors, diodes and snap-in 'lytics, etc., get a few bits in the #48 - 59 range at a hardware store like TrueValue. They sell them singly. You can skip numbers and get a few -- four or five -- you don't need them all. I seem to use 53, 55 and 57 for a lot of things.

Hope this helps,
Jeff

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Optimum speed for drilling pc boards??? - jyourison 11:16:26 05/27/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.