Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Here is a different approach to try.....

Hi Shovel,

I read through this thread, and want to suggest ONE other possibility that I like for several reasons. It eliminates two of the "less than stellar" design choices being discussed in this thread: (1) NO buck or boost winding to degrade the PT's inherent regulation and (2) NO ultra whimpy 5R4 rectifier.

Add a Traid C-56U (as an INPUT filter, fed DIRECTLY by the rectifier tube) onto the back of the chassis, vertically mounted, and PSUD what follows after that, to get it right.

I would also use a directly heated rectifier tube, but NOT the "ultra drop under load" ultra-whimpiest 5R4. How about a 5U4 ??? Maybe a 5V3A.

The C-56U is 2 A. rated, and .79 Ohm in DCR. It should reduce B+ by at least 10% compared to a cap input filter, and maybe as much as 15% less than a cap input, just about right for a more conservative VDC level, with NO whimpy / kluged design parts added.

L2 in my simulation is just a small sized EDCOR 1 Hy 21 Ohm DCR open frame choke, didn't try the Dynaco stock unit, because it is well over 20 Ohms, 60 Ohms DCR as as I recall.

Then you have very nice sounding L1/C1/L2/C2 B+ filters to the Finals, a near ideal and doable design. 482 VDC B+ with 5V3A. Parts cost is quite reasonable.

Cheers,

Jeff Medwin

Edits: 05/22/12 05/22/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.