Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: "The 1st filter cap. can't exceed 20 mF"

Perhaps somewhat oddly enough, finding those low µF values are becoming an issue.

As I mentioned, I ordered a couple of SDS cap boards for the MkIII's, which run pairs of caps in series to cover the high voltages. I found it difficult to locate low µF caps to use, even though values are halved. The lowest I could find in the Nichicon KX were 56 µF @ 450V.

I could use a 20µF oiler, but the MkIII chassis doesn't leave much room for big caps, chokes, etc.

The bottom line is that there is a lot I could do with these, but I've read a many Asylum posts regarding these amps. Unless I'm willing to move the output transformers to a larger chassis, add a new input circuit, and completely re-do the power supply, it seems pointless.

As one poster opined some years ago: "I've done about every mod there is to the MkIII's. Sometimes I think I liked the sound of them better when they were stock."

Unless they overwhelm me when I get them running, I'll either use them occasionally, or sell them.

Thanks for the ideas, Eli. They are always appreciated!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.