Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: why top of my 2a3 glass envelop change color?

Q. " I am running my new car continuously at 100 MPH on the freeway, and the bright red color on the cam cover has changed to dull red, .....what should I do " ??

A. Slow down to 62 to 70 MPH. and enjoy the scenery some.

You are running the tubes at 15 watts plate dissipation, which is their maximum dissipation. This means you will NOT get great tube life from them, and that they are now continuously degrading. Additionally, they are now operating thermally stressed, and they SOUND that way.

The tubes will last tens of thousands of hours, and, (if your internal wiring and layout is sound), the amp will be more relaxed, less stressed sounding, if you REDUCE the plate dissipation from the 15 Watts to about 10 to 10.5 Watts.

To reduce 2A3 dissipation and current draw requires (1) a proper DC voltage on the 2A3's grid, and usually simultaneously, (2) a higher value self-bias (Rk) resistor.

Jeff Medwin

Edits: 05/21/12 05/21/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: why top of my 2a3 glass envelop change color? - drlowmu 06:26:28 05/21/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.