Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

The load teh MC should see should be at least 10 times it's own coil impedance.

e.g. if it has a 40 ohm coil impedance around 400 ohms up to say 600 ohms will be well damped electrically and will have little effect on the frequency response / tone.

The SUT transformer divides the 47kohm MM input impedance by the square of the step-up ratio.

In the case of a 10 times SUT the reflected load will be 47k / 10 x 10 = 470 ohms. pretty much perfect for an MC of 40-50 ohms OR LESS coil impedance. The voltage will be enough to drive the MM stage well and be quiet.

If say you had a classic low-z low-output MC it might need as much as 35 times as the step up ratio and this will give you a much lower reflected load of 100 ohms, or less. But because these cartridges will also have a very low coil impedance, of 10 ohms or less, they'll be quite happy.

I am against loading MCs heavily, IE at 1 to 3 times their coil impedance. You are also throwing away most of their power output / signal to noise advantage over MMs.

IME they will be under-damped and will almost always sound bright and light, almost zippy.

Yes MC's are only low-output in voltage terms, most are quite a bit more powerful than an MM.

It is now common for some MO MC's (> 0.5mv to 1.0mv) to have quite low coil Z's e.g. Dynavector, VdH, and Benz. Correctly loaded at about ten times the coil Z the step-up ratio MAY be enough to overload the MM stage. But valve based MM stages tend to have heaps of headroom, so this should NOT be an issue for you. Such a set up would have very good signal to noise and very low distortion.

JBTW it is NOT true, as stated in this thread, that an all-tube MC stage is impossible due to noise, I can think of several that work quite well, that in VTL's 5.5 series for one. They can usually only work well with an MC of about .3mv or better.

Thankfully most such still have an MM option, allowing a SUT & MC combo for the <.3mv MCs.

Warmest

Tim Bailey

Skeptical Measurer & Audio Scrounger

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.